Tuesday 3 February 2015

St James's Park, London




Great White Pelicans -Pelecanus onocrotalus

I visited St James's Park, London specifically to see the Pelicans and I was not disappointed. 
They are amazing birds and I managed to capture some great images for my self-devised assignment.
The Pelicans were first introduced to this Royal Park in 1664 as a gift from the Russian Ambassador, and there are currently four eastern or great white Pelicans to be found here.

St James's park is the oldest of the eight Royal Parks in London and the first to be opened to the general public. The lake provides a key habitat for a wide range of bird life including fifteen species of wildfowl, with nesting sites on Duck Island and West Island.Wil


Great Blue Heron -Ardea herodia

The lone heron provided a great photographic opportunity for me, I have been trying to photograph the heron for a number of years without much success so I was thrsilled to be able to capture such a clear image of him.
For my research this has been a useful habitat to visit to see how birds can adapt to survive in urban environments. I am planning a return visit in April to capture more birds.

All images:  Debra Burgess-Lim

No comments:

Post a Comment